[License-discuss] Google v. Oracle

Pamela Chestek pamela at chesteklegal.com
Fri Apr 30 17:08:39 UTC 2021

The patent claim also dropped very quickly out of the case at very early
stages - I think there may have been one published opinion about the
patent claims but it wasn't significant IIRC.

I'm not sure what you mean by "check the case according to the free
software permissions," but the case really has nothing to do with free
software. Google did not claim to be using Java under the GPLv2
w/classpath exception, they had copied a commercial version of Java and
also had not complied with the OpenJDK license. The court therefore
didn't have any reason to discuss a free software license.

Pam

Pamela S. Chestek
Chestek Legal
PO Box 2492