[License-discuss] Thoughts on AAL and OSS vs FOSS

Hillel Coren hillelcoren at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 06:37:41 UTC 2020

Thanks for your feedback!

> If something in the code requires a license key or payment in order to
function,
> then the code is not open source, it is proprietary.

With the AAL license we add a "Powered by.." message in the footer, all of
the app's functionality is enabled. We offer a license key which is used to
remove our branding rather than enable any features.

If the AAL license is deprecated it will force us to sell features which as
mentioned previously I believe is worse for everyone. The only benefit is
we'll likely make more money from our self host community (vs our hosted
community) which is not our goal.