[License-discuss] REMOVE AAL from list of approved licenses

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 02:28:27 UTC 2020

For the curious, this would seem to be the original license submission:
http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-discuss_lists.opensource.org/2002-May/005308.html
with apparently only one (positive) comment, from John Cowan:
http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-discuss_lists.opensource.org/2002-May/005309.html

FWIW I disagree with the 2002 John Cowan wrt his assertion that the
AAL is "essentially equivalent to the Old BSD license". The badgeware
requirement in AAL applies whenever the program is launched and is a
direct restriction on modification, which seems substantially more
burdensome in practice than the BSD advertising requirement which only
kicks in if you generate "advertising materials mentioning features or
use of this software" and thus is likely to remain theoretical in most
cases.

Richard

--
Richard Fontana