[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 18:46:14 UTC 2020

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 12:25 PM Tobie Langel <tobie at unlockopen.com> wrote:

> The open source community is the community of people that contributes
> code, documentation, tests, policy, etc. to open source projects and/or
> chooses to use such projects. As such, they also get to define what the
> core values of open source are. There isn't some kind of gatekeeper
> mechanism that's there to decide what those values are or who gets to
> decide who is part of the open source community and who isn't.

Whether you realise it or not, that is what you are looking for.  You are
suggesting your values should take precedence over mine.

I'm involved in the community for the very values which certain individuals
wish to expunge. There is no mechanism for both communities to consider
themselves the same community, so either values come in common or people go
elsewhere.

If the new community takes over from the old then so-be-it, but it needs to
be recognised that they didn't add themselves to the community without
subtracting others (such as myself).

manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or portable
media player from my cold dead hands!" http://c11.ca/own