[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

McCoy Smith mccoy at lexpan.law
Wed Mar 18 17:40:18 UTC 2020

From: License-discuss <license-discuss-bounces at lists.opensource.org> On Behalf Of Pamela Chestek
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 9:55 AM
To: license-discuss at lists.opensource.org
Subject: Re: [License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

On 3/18/2020 12:46 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

Quoting Tobie Langel (tobie at unlockopen.com <mailto:tobie at unlockopen.com> ):

The math here assumes voters only cast a single vote, which isn't how this
election works.

No, sorry, I made no such assumption.

Afaik the 35% number Coraline shared was based on data provided by Josh.

I'm sorry, but to reiterate, Ms. Ehmke's blog post claim (emphasis
added) was that she and you 'did collectively secure 35% of the _votes_
from the membership'.  According to OSI, there were 1,061 _votes_ cast.
This other divisor being waved about (338) is said to be the number of
_voters_.

If I've somehow flubbed long division, please show me where.  I won't
even blame /usr/bin/bc, and instead just surrender my math degree
directly to you.  ;->

What would actually be appreciated is, when someone has time, if that
person would kindly elaborate on which voting algorithm OSI uses for its
Board elections.  (Not urgent; I'm mostly just curious.)

The Board Elections page <https://opensource.org/elections>  says bloc voting and links to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_non-transferable_vote

And Helios is used to tabulate the vote.  Per Helios:

Helios offers verifiable online elections.

We believe democracy is important, whether it’s your book club, parent-teacher association, student government, workers’ union, or state. So we’ve made truly verifiable elections as easy as everything else on the Web.

Helios elections are:

*       private: no one knows how you voted.

*       verifiable: each voter gets a tracking number.

*       proven: Helios is open-source, vetted by top-tier experts, and in use by major organizations.

So the claim that Josh or anyone from OSI has the ability to give better data than that which the election results page shows everyone (or at least everyone eligible to vote) would seem to be false.