[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Brendan Hickey brendan.m.hickey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:57:38 UTC 2020

Last year I ran for the OSI board on a platform of changing OSI board
elections (and defending open source against predatory licensing.) One
board member called it "probably the funniest platform I've seen." Here I
am feeling like Cassandra of Troy!

At-large approval voting allows a winning bloc to control all seats. I do
not believe that's the case here. My mental model of board voting is that
thoughtful people vote for other dedicated, thoughtful people who are
interested in a thankless, unpaid position. I cast my own votes based on my
personal experiences with candidates. For truly adversarial voting there's
an escape hatch: the board is empowered to set aside election results if I
pay my 300 closest friends to join the OSI.

While these concerns are largely theoretical, there are more pluralistic
voting systems out there.