[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Wed Mar 18 08:51:11 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 12:23 AM McCoy Smith <mccoy at lexpan.law> wrote:

> If you go just on the cumulative numbers, there were 1,061 votes cast, so
> (82+36)/1,061 = 11.1%, as you note.
>
> If you go to the ballot tracker (
> https://vote.heliosvoting.org/helios/elections/d93efdc8-5c7e-11ea-9fd6-dac1e2b1446f/voters/list),
> there were 338 individual voters who cast votes, so 338/1,061 = 31.8%.
> That’s more in the ballpark of the quoted 35%.  If you use that
> calculation, and you combine Ehmke+Langel, percentages are:
>
>    1. *Josh Simmons: 224 (66%)*
>    2. *Megan Byrd-Sanicki: 198 (58%)*
>    3. Ashley Wolf: 137 (41%)
>    4. Coraline Ada Ehmke: 82+ Tobie Langel: 36 (32%)
>    5. McCoy Smith: 92 (27%)
>    6. Chris Short: 67 (20%)
>    7. Mario Behling: 60 (18%)
>    8. Mekki MacAulay: 56 (17%)
>    9. George Kraft: 39 (11%)
>    10. John Tredennick: 36 (11%)

But why would you sum up Coraline and Tobie? The most likely explanation is
that the same set of people (11%) voted for both of them, if they wanted to
support ethical source. If we're going to sum up votes from the same
voter, then by the same logic there's 124% support for the platform that
Josh and Megan represent.

Gil's analysis seems to more accurately reflect how approval voting works.

henrik
henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
+358-40-5697354        skype: henrik.ingo            irc: hingo
www.openlife.cc

My LinkedIn profile: http://fi.linkedin.com/pub/henrik-ingo/3/232/8a7