[License-discuss] How can we as a community help empower authors outside license agreements?

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Tue Mar 17 20:20:08 UTC 2020

On Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 14.23 Tobie Langel, <tobie at unlockopen.com> wrote:

> The very real risk, otherwise, is for these experimentations to happen
> nonetheless, in a much more chaotic environment, bypassing OSI altogether,
> and potentially leading to much more disruptive outcomes.

It's probably worth clarifying that from an OSI point of view this is not a
risk at all. This is exactly what has happened with the open core
companies, Facebook's BSD+patents, Blue Oak licenses, etc... They
experiment with their licenses without OSI involvement and there was never
any harm to OSI from them doing so.

henrik