[License-discuss] Language, appropriateness, and ideas

Josh Berkus josh at berkus.org
Thu Feb 27 01:01:11 UTC 2020

On 2/26/20 4:45 PM, VanL wrote:
> Strong opinions can be expressed without sharp language.  That doesn't
> mean that we don't have strong opinions, or that we don't try to express
> them as cogently and persuasively as we can. My point - or at least one
> of my points - is that sharp language is usually less effective in being
> persuasive and cogent.

Hear, hear.

ESR's "sharp language" is not an attempt to persuade.  It is an attempt
to intimidate opponents; to "win" an argument by making others afraid to
participate.  Indeed, even today OSI mailing list composition is
entirely folks with enough privilege to be resistant to personal
attacks.  That's a sad, terrible thing.

It's not "free speech" when it's an attempt to shout others down so that
they have no voice.  It's something else entirely.

Further, not one of ESR's points is original or even original to this
list.  In his absence, not one of the ideas he so "colorfully" expressed
will be lost. In the meantime, we're missing the input of so many people
who will not participate in OSI because of our tolerance for wholly
uncivilized behavior like his posts.

--
Josh Berkus