[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: "Fairness" vs. mission objectives

Nigel T nigel.2048 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 16:02:55 UTC 2020

There was a small but vocal effort that successfully stopped NOSA 3.0 despite it fixing issues in NOSA 2.0.  The claim was that the problematic clause(s) failed the OSD and were unnecessary even though government lawyers thought it was necessary.  These clauses, of course, exist in NOSA 2.0.

In those threads it was argued that approval of NOSA was a mistake.

I have little reason to believe that I can do anything to slow down Perens or Fontana should they choose to seek to decertify NOSA 2.0 once a decertification process exists.

Hopefully they settle for just deprecation.

So no, I’m no longer very interested tilting at windmills and frankly, given that CC0 is an accepted Open Source license it may not really matter if they decertify NOSA.  It will remain Open Source regardless of the OSI‘s position as long as the wider community continues to accept it as Open Source.

I really stopped caring after Luis Villa got chased away for using “bad words”.  He said something along the lines of not feeling like he was providing much value by repeating the same points over and over again.

But some points have to reiterated over and over again because they are important and does have tremendous value because other folks are trying to erode those points away through sheer persistence.  So he will be missed.

I should have said that then and the whole CAL experience also drained any enthusiasm to continue to tilt at windmills.  So I get why he left.

My feelings are that there are more lawyers and activists than developers participating in the license process and there is a lack of pragmatism that seemed to exist when I first joined the list around 2010.

Not that I sling a lot of code these days...it’s more PowerPoint than code a decade later.