[License-discuss] "Fairness" vs. mission objectives

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 18:58:32 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 1:09 PM Simon Phipps
<simon.phipps at opensource.org> wrote:

> What I'd propose here is that we explore a process for deprecation of licenses by someone other than the license steward.  Maybe it would start with a substantiated request endorsed by several regular list members, and then follow the same discussion-followed-by-committee-review process as approval. The decision to involuntarily deprecate a license would then finally be reviewed by the Board.

+1. I'd personally prefer to see a process for outright
decertification of licenses determined to be non-conformant to OSI's
license approval criteria, as opposed to mere deprecation, but the few
(I think) times I've brought this up over the years on this list there
didn't seem to be much appetite for that from anyone else.

Richard