[License-discuss] "Fairness" vs. mission objectives

Simon Phipps simon.phipps at opensource.org
Mon Feb 24 18:08:44 UTC 2020

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 5:59 PM McCoy Smith <mccoy at lexpan.law> wrote:

> [...]

Note that we already accept requests from the license steward to deprecate
a license, either because they consider it no longer appropriate (as I
myself did for the SISSL a decade or so ago) or because it has been
superceded. This conveys a clear message that the license should not be
used for new uses, without harming legacy applications (which are indeed
often minimal).

What I'd propose here is that we explore a process for deprecation of
licenses by someone other than the license steward.  Maybe it would start
with a substantiated request endorsed by several regular list members, and
then follow the same discussion-followed-by-committee-review process as
approval. The decision to involuntarily deprecate a license would then
finally be reviewed by the Board.

Simon
(in-role but not representing a consensus position)