[License-discuss] Ethical open source licensing - Persona non Grata Preamble

Pamela Chestek pamela at chesteklegal.com
Sat Feb 22 12:51:45 UTC 2020

On 2/21/20 7:56 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Eric Schultz (eric at wwahammy.com):
>
>> Anyways, now that that is out of the way, my first idea is called the
>> Persona non Grata Preamble.
> [...]
>
> In my opinion, OSI license-discuss participants would be well advised to
> pointedly not assist you on this, or on any similar matters.  You already
> know this sort of language belongs, if anywhere at all, in your
> organisation or other project's Code of Conduct, having blogged in
> December explicit acknowledgement of that very point.[1]
>
> OSI's community should decline to enable your (or your friends' or your
> organisation LibrePlanet's) grudges against Richard Stallman or against
> ICE or against BP or against anyone else.  That is, IMO, very much not
> what we're collectively here to spend our time and effort on.  What
> ideological causes you wish to lavish your _own_ time on is of course
> your business.
>
> [1] https://wwahammy.com/on-safety-at-libreplanet/

In my view, this is a perfectly appropriate place to discuss this
concept. This forum is intended for sharing ideas and getting feedback
on them. That's how new, creative solutions to problems might get
developed. If it's not a topic you're interested in you can mute the thread.

Pam

Pamela S. Chestek
Chestek Legal
PO Box 2492