[License-discuss] WordPress GPL software

zak zakman.green at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 22:53:30 UTC 2019

I'm seeking clarification on the legality of selling various WordPress
software applications for a fraction of the cost that the developers sell
them for.  These commercially available software applications (themes,
plugins, and page builders) aren't stand-alone software -- they are written
specifically for WordPress and require WordPress to function.

I 'get' that WordPress is Open Source software, is licensed for anyone to
freely modify it, and it's not uncommon for any number of contributors to
write plugins etc to enhance the whole WordPress experience. However, I'm
unclear about:

1) When some people create commercial applications (themes, plugins, page
builders, etc) for WordPress, and charge for them, what is actually being
sold? ....the newly-created software? Or, perhaps the service they provide
to troubleshoot its application? Something else?

2) If someone purchases this newly-created WordPress theme or plugin or
page-builder... and resells it for less, is that legal?

SPECIFICALLY , if John Doe modifies a WordPress theme and makes it
available for sale... and Joe Blow buys it, and re-sells it as-is for less
than he bought it for (multiple times)... is Joe Blow doing something
illegal?  If not, exactly what licencing is in play to justify that?

I've read through various pages at opensource.org but I'm no lawyer (or
programmer) so I'm afraid I don't understand the finer points of modifying
original open source software, calling it something new, and selling it as
its own entity.... while still being licensed as open source.

SPECIFICALLY, can someone else legally re-distribute (sell for less or give
away) the commercially available software (eg. themes and plugins), without
permission of the people who developer them? Are the modified, commercially
available themes, plugins, etc also GPL simply because they are created
using original WordPress GPL software?

I ask all this because I discovered a site that sells WordPress
applications for a fraction of the cost of the original themes, plugins,
page builders, etc and would like to buy them and use them with a clear
conscious.  I would also recommend them to others ......IF it is legal.

Thank you in advance for any insights and legal references :)