[License-discuss] [License-review] Coherent Open Source - Getting underway next Friday

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sun Oct 20 14:40:57 UTC 2019

Bruce, I'm sorry for the harsh tone of my email to you this Friday. A calm weekend has given me time to think the issue through better.

I actually agree with you that both the BSD and GPL licenses should be acceptable to "both camps," to use Gil's characterization. Indeed, I have recommended the GPL to some of my clients for various reasons in the past, most recently for open source elections software. It is a "good license," although not the best.

But I have had some clients, such as the Apache Software Foundation, whose board refused my legal recommendation that they add the GPL to their list of compatible licenses despite my frequent, loud, and sometimes obnoxious insistence that they should do so to encourage the sharing of open source code within our entire community. They insisted that the FSF had a policy of discouraging such uses by ASF, and they would refuse that license for those policy reasons. It is not fun to be a lawyer whose client disagrees with your legal position. As the old saying goes, you can bring a horse to water, but you can't force its head underneath. (Please do not concern yourself that this is perhaps an ad hominem statement that the Apache board are horses, but personally I believe some of them are.)

I believe that ALL open source licenses allow source code to be freely copied, although not always for derivative works. I hope that the API boundary line will be clearly defined by the Supreme Court in the Oracle v. Google case. For this the GPL is as "good" an open source license as any of the others. But for that same reason, there is no reason to accept your premise that only a few licenses are enough. Licenses serve many competing interests and policy values. More licenses don't hurt, although they may exceed the limited attention of engineers to legal matters. So what? So long as the result is free software that can be shared worldwide for almost all common purposes, I'm happy.

So, I shouldn't have criticized you for complimenting the acceptability of the GPL, although I still don't like your criticizing all the other good open source licenses that innovative attorneys create.

/Larry

This email is licensed under  <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/> CC-BY-4.0. Please copy freely.