[License-discuss] Becoming Public Domain After X Years

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Nov 24 03:06:32 UTC 2019

The Copyright Act makes no specific provision for copyright abandonment,
but in general any property (except land) can be abandoned by any overt act
indicating an intention to give up the rights.  I can't find any copyright
case on point, but National Comics Publications v. Fawcett Publications,
191 F. 2d 594 - Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit 1951 says so by way of dictum.