[License-discuss] Becoming Public Domain After X Years

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Nov 23 16:54:43 UTC 2019

On 22/11/2019 21:01, Martin L via License-discuss wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had links/knowledge about licenses which,
> after X amount of time (say, 10 years), release the code into the public
> domain?

My understanding is that, even in the USA, it is an open question as to
whether you can put something into the public domain before it would
lapse into it, and, in most other countries it is definitely not
possibly.  That's one reason for the existence of CC0.

Even where US federal government works are in the public domain in the
USA, that is not true of the same works in other countries.