[License-discuss] Discourse hosting

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Tue Mar 19 21:51:19 UTC 2019

Rick Moen dixit:

>misadventure, etc., is inapt.  Discourse the codebase _is_ a
>free-software tool.

I’ve not looked at it, but many “open core” are not Free Software:
they often reject patches that add features because they would
reduce the “added value” of the commercial version, and some even
strip comments or, worse, uglify the published source code.

Furthermore, the basic tenet can, and should, be extended to using
Free Services as well. Services that don’t spy on you, and that can
even be used by minors, ideally. I say this with my Teckids charity
member hat on.

Thanks for considering,
//mirabilos
--
Thorsten Glaser (Founding Member)
Teckids e.V. — Digital freedom with youth and education