[License-discuss] For Public Comment: The Cryptographic Autonomy License

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 16:11:47 UTC 2019

 I have mentioned some time back that I was working on a new strong network
copyleft license. The result is the Cryptographic Autonomy License, which I
described at CopyleftConf. I wrote up an explainer laying out the legal
rationales behind the CAL:

https://www.processmechanics.com/2019/03/15/the-cryptographic-autonomy-license/

Specifically of note are a) the use of patent rights to enforce copyleft,
b) the use of the public performance right as the hook, and c) the
definition of the "Work" as including interfaces.

The CAL is a strongly pro-software-freedom license, and so, I would
particularly welcome criticism by anyone coming from that perspective.

Thanks,
Van

PS: The page at my blog is free software-friendly. There is no proprietary
Javascript loaded by the page, and I have also included a PDF copy of the
license for anyone who would prefer not to use the Google Docs link.