[License-discuss] End of CAL discussion? Paging Arthur Brock.

Alexander Terekhov herr.alter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 21:38:00 UTC 2019

"Conditions" is the proper term of art for qualifications that are placed
on licensee's obligations/covenants and/or licensor's grant of right(a)
(i.e. covenant not to sue for infringement) in a license agreement. But CAL
has no conditions. Nor has it any scope limitations, BTW. CAL's wording
"You agree that either the Licensor or a Recipient (as an intended
third-party beneficiary) may enforce these conditions via specific
performance" confounds conditions with covenants.

US Federal Circuit showed utter incompetence in Jacobsen vs. Katzer, don't
try to capitalize on that silliness, please.

* * *

https://naturez-vous.com/conditions-in-contracts-definition-forms/

"A condition is an act or event that affects a party’s contractual duty. It
is a qualification that is placed on an obligation. For instance, let’s say
that I promise my brother that I’ll wash the dog if he’ll clean my room.
This agreement has a condition. I’m not obligated to wash the dog unless my
brother cleans my room.

There are three different forms of conditions. These conditions are
categorized by the point in time that the condition must occur. There are
conditions that must occur:

Before
During, or
After the contractual duty

Let’s look at each of these forms of conditions.

Condition Precedent

Sometimes a contract will require that a certain act or event occur before
some other act or event. This form of condition is known as a condition
precedent. A condition precedent is something that must occur before a
party is obligated under the contract. The condition precedes the party’s
obligation.

This type of condition is common. Contracts often stipulate that a party’s
obligation occurs once another act or event occurs. For example, let’s take
a look at my oral agreement with my brother. I promise my brother that I’ll
wash the dog if he’ll clean my room. This agreement has a condition
precedent. I’m not obligated to wash the dog unless my brother cleans my
room. My brother must clean my room before I’m obligated to wash the dog.
The clean room is a condition precedent. Once my brother cleans my room,
I’m obligated to wash the dog. Until then, I have no obligation.

Condition Concurrent

The second form of contract condition is one that must occur at the same
time as some other act or event. This is known as a condition concurrent. A
condition concurrent is something that must occur simultaneously with
another condition. Each party’s obligation acts as a condition precedent
for the other.

When there is a condition concurrent, the parties’ obligations are mutually
dependent on each other. Neither party has an obligation until the other
party performs his or her obligation. For example, let’s say that I make an
oral agreement with my brother. As long as he cleans my room every week,
I’ll wash the dog every week. This is a condition concurrent because we are
mutually obligated to one another and our obligations are mutually
dependent on each other. As long as he’s cleaning my room, I’m obligated to
wash the dog. As long as I’m washing the dog, he’s obligated to clean my
room.

This is a common contract condition in the sale of goods or services. When
I buy a new shirt in a store, I’m obligated to pay the storekeeper and
she’s obligated to give me the shirt. Or, if I purchase the shirt online,
I’m obligated to send payment to the store and the store is obligated to
send me the shirt. The obligations are concurrently contingent on one
another.

Condition Subsequent

The third form of contract condition is one that occurs after some other
act or event. This is known as a condition subsequent. A condition
subsequent is something that occurs after another condition. This type of
condition terminates the parties’ obligations and ends the contract.

Many business contracts contain conditions subsequent. Often, the condition
is included in a contract clause that outlines what happens when, or if, a
certain act or event occurs. A condition subsequent will normally be an act
or event that occurs during the duration of the contract.

For example, let’s look at my oral agreement with my brother. Let’s say
that we agree that he’ll clean my room every week, and I’ll wash the dog
every week, until our mom reassigns our chores. This is a condition
subsequent because our obligations to one another will terminate once our
mom reassigns our chores. If, next month, I’m assigned to wash the dog
every week anyway, then I’m no longer obligated to my brother.

This is a common condition in business contracts, such as supply contracts.
For example, say Bridget’s Bread Company agrees to buy all of its flour
from Fred’s Flour Supply. This contract contains a clause saying that Fred
is no longer obligated to supply flour to Bridget if she closes, sells, or
moves her bread company. This is a condition subsequent and terminates the
parties’ obligations to one another.

Lesson Summary

Let’s review. Many business contracts contain conditions. The contract
conditions determine the parties’ obligations. A condition is an act or
event that affects a party’s contractual duty. A condition is a
qualification that is placed on an obligation. There are three different
forms of conditions. These are:

Conditions precedent
Conditions concurrent, and
Conditions subsequent

A condition precedent is something that must occur before a party is
obligated under the contract. The condition precedes the party’s
obligation. A condition concurrent is something that must occur
simultaneously with another condition. Each party’s obligation acts as a
condition precedent for the other. A condition subsequent is something that