[License-discuss] [License-review] For Approval: The Cryptographic Autonomy License

Russell McOrmond russellmcormond at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 00:42:16 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 8:36 PM John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 10:03 AM Russell McOrmond <
> russellmcormond at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I can't tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing that it is the same or
>>> similar (right to authorise "public performance" of software, and
>>> interface/API copyright).
>>>

> I'm saying that there is no public performance right for works that aren't
> performed.  Plays are performed, sculpture is displayed, software is
> neither.  If you think it is, the burden of persuasion is on you.

The burden isn't on me, as I don't believe it is legitimate to think of
software as 'performed'.  (Even when people made poetry out of DeCSS, and
then other people sung it , that was a musical composition and not
software.  The act of executing software isn't legitimately thought of as a
performance).

The burden to explain the legitimacy of this controversial legal theory is
on the folks who have presented CAL and other such licenses which claim
that there is a performance right for software.  I strongly believe there
shouldn't be, but others who are pushing forward dangerous legal theories
are saying it does.

It is usually bad form to repeat an answer to a Straw Man argument.  I
>> specifically spoke about control, not ownership of hardware.
>>

> Ownership *is* control.  If it's my server, I get to turn it off, whether
> you "control" it or not.

Ownership means you get to decide who has control.  If I own a car it
doesn't mean I'm the only one who can drive it, but I am the only one who
can decide who else can drive it.

Apparently we are talking past one another.

Apparently, if you thought I was the one who thought that a public
performance right for software was legitimate.

To be clear:

 * I believe that CAL should be rejected by OSI, FSF, and anyone else who
supports software freedom.
 * I believe the AGPL should be re-evaluated and hopefully rejected by the
OSI, and maybe eventually the FSF.  The controversial legal theory behind
it opened the door to these other even more harmful licensing concepts.
 * I believe any legal theory that suggests software has a "public
performance" right, or that interfaces have exclusive rights, should be
clearly rejected in law (globally) and be unenforceable in any contract.

Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property rights
as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition! http://l.c11.ca/ict/

manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or portable
media player from my cold dead hands!" http://c11.ca/own