[License-discuss] Copyright on APIs

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Mon Jul 8 00:02:40 UTC 2019

Bruce Perens via License-discuss dixit:

>My opinion has been that gift-style licensing makes you an unpaid, and
>unappreciated, employee of big companies.

Definitely not. Employees get told what they can work on, how it
should look in the end, and often enough how to work on it.

With Ⓕ Copyfree licences, I can choose myself, enjoy myself,
scratch my own itch, and I’m happy if I can help other people
with it.

Yes, I was angry when Ubuntu got 10 million dollars and I was
broke enough I couldn’t immediately afford a new coffee machine
when mine broke around the same time.

But no, using a copyleft licence would not have fixed that.

Incidentally, mksh’s success was determined mostly from it
*not* being under a copyleft licence.

Also, we’re standing on the shoulders of giants. It is not
appropriate for us to do anything else than publish what
we’ve been doing there under similarily liberal terms.

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt