[License-discuss] Trigger for licensee obigations

VanL van.lindberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 17:16:44 UTC 2019

Hi McCoy,

With regard to most software licensing, including FOSS licensing, network
interaction is not an issue.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 11:36 AM Smith, McCoy <mccoy.smith at intel.com> wrote:

> >>As soon as the employee has an individual license to the modified work,
> the game is up; no other restrictions can be placed upon that employee's
> further distribution of the AGPL software lest the imposition of those
> restrictions place the corporation itself out of compliance.
>

> Only if you assume that AGPL’s definition of “you” and “licensee” would
> separately encompass employees acting on behalf of their employers.

The difference is that the AGPL is overbroad to whom licenses must be
offered. Here is the first paragraph of Section 13, with emphasis added:

Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, if you modify the
> Program, your modified version must prominently offer *all users
> interacting with it remotely through a computer network* (if your version
> supports such interaction) an opportunity to receive the Corresponding
> Source of your version by providing access to the Corresponding Source from
> a network server at no charge, through some standard or customary means of
> facilitating copying of software. This Corresponding Source shall include
> the Corresponding Source for any work covered by version 3 of the GNU
> General Public License that is incorporated pursuant to the following
> paragraph.

In contrast, look at AGPLv3 section 10, covering "entity transactions",
that deals with entity-level issues associated with licensing.

I think a court would be more likely to interpret "all users interacting"
with the software exactly as-is. This is especially because the purpose of
this clause is to provide all network-interacting users a copy of the
source code to the modifications. If the corporation was trying to restrict
access to the source code for the modification - for example, to maintain a
trade secret - this would be directly contrary to the stated purpose and
intention of the license.

It comes down to legal interpretation and your risk tolerance, but this is
the way I advise my clients.

But either way, turning briefly back to the CAL: regardless of whether the
AGPL fails or not in this regard, the CAL offers a private right of use in
this situation.

Thanks,
Van