[License-discuss] For Public Comment: The Libre Source License

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Aug 23 17:23:49 UTC 2019

Roger Fujii wrote:
> Now I'm confused.    Are you saying there is no "fair use" when the target is software?   While one can weaken" fair use" via the license, is this a good idea for OSI to support this?

Fair use always remains a legitimate defense to copyright infringement. But it is a poor basis for claiming rights to use and distribute software for commercial purposes. There are many limits to fair use that courts will analyze after you admit to infringement. It seldom results in forgiveness.

/Larry