[License-discuss] Discussion: AGPL and Open Source Definition conflict

Smith, McCoy mccoy.smith at intel.com
Wed Aug 14 15:50:57 UTC 2019

Looks like AGPLv3 was submitted in January of 2008, and there was a bit of discussion about it into February:  https://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2008-January/000058.html

Interestingly, I didn’t see AGPLv3 in any of the License Committee reports of that era.  And I couldn’t see, through the Wayback Machine, that AGPLv1 ever got on the OSI list (although I haven’t done a comprehensive search of those archives).

FWIW, it does not appear that there was much of a discussion of the network access clause in 2008, although there was precedent for that in the External Deployment language of OSL circa 2005.  Perhaps there is discussion there, if one were to search the Wayback Machine archives of the mailing lists.