[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] patent rights and the OSD

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Mar 7 21:56:54 UTC 2017

Richard Fontana suggested:

> So in other words, "this license is Open Source to the extent that, when used, it is accompanied by [a separate appropriate patent license grant]", for example?

Richard, that sounds like a great compromise that the government agencies might be able to live with. :-)  If I understand correctly, there is already an existing government policy that patent rights are granted to all users of the software, albeit separately by policy rather than by license.

And if I understand correctly, that is already the implied promise in Europe?

/Larry