[License-discuss] FreeAndFair license

Joe Kiniry kiniry at freeandfair.us
Wed Jun 14 19:12:51 UTC 2017

Thank you for including me in these discussions.  I'm now subscribed to
license-discuss.

In short, the reason we have made our software available in the fashion
that we have is exactly because of the fear factor surrounding GPL and,
secondarily, we do not want competitors to sell our software without
contributing back to the community.

We have yet to interact with a single elections official who understands
and is comfortable with GPL, let alone demands GPL.  The most common
licenses mentioned by EOs is BSD and Apache.  Zero election officials have
expressed an interest in the OSET public license to date.

As with all R&D we do at Free & Fair and Galois, we listen to our customers
and do what they ask.  Thus, we release most everything we do under BSD,
unless we are forced towards another OSI license due to build dependencies
etc.

Joe