[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Feb 27 19:57:03 UTC 2017

Stephen Michael Kellat referred to his standard disclaimer at
<http://skellat.freeshell.org/blog/pages/about-this-blog.html>
http://skellat.freeshell.org/blog/pages/about-this-blog.html:

About this blog

This site does not reflect the opinions, views, or official actions of any
of the following entities:

The United States Government

Any agency or instrumentality of the United States Government

Canonical, Limited

The State of Ohio

Any agency or instrumentality of the State of Ohio

Lakeland Community College

West Avenue Church of Christ or any operational function thereof

The organizing team for the Music Along The River festival

The Ashtabula County Metroparks Board

Others potentially yet to be mentioned

The views herein are solely those of the author.

On the other hand, my emails are usually signed and "licensed under
CC-BY-4.0" with permission to "please copy freely."

If there is likely to be confusion that my words will be interpreted as
attorney-advice rather than merely conversational like everyone else's words
on this email list, I add the following brief disclaimer:

"If this were legal advice it would have been accompanied by a bill."

I learned that email disclaimer from Mark Lemley, who knows more about
intellectual property law than anyone on this list. Such is the discussion
freedom of a college professor like Lemley or a small country lawyer like me
from the backwoods of California. You government lawyers give up too much
freedom to speak up.

Most of the rest of the attorney disclaimers on emails sent to most open
source discussion lists are just words that attorneys recite in church. Such
emails are effectively though not literally public domain, or at least their
ideas are.

At your suggestion, Stephen, I won't bother with a FOIA request "to the
government lawyers." :-)

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw (www.rosenlaw.com)

3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482

Cell: 707-478-8932

This email is licensed under CC-BY-4.0. Please copy freely.