[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: OSI equivalent

Simon Phipps simon at webmink.com
Thu Feb 16 17:08:17 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) <
cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil> wrote:

> [...]

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the "compatibility" of licenses is
a context-specific matter, so the concept of canonical abstract
compatibility information seems nonsensical in the general case.

As the author of the GPL family of licenses the FSF is a great source of
advice on the combinability of other licenses with theirs, although the
only opinion that really matters is that of the copyright holder who has
chosen to use a particular license. For other license combinations, I would
not expect the FSF to volunteer as an authority and doubt their third-party
view would be sought.

S.