[License-discuss] Trove Classifiers

Philippe Ombredanne pombredanne at nexb.com
Wed May 4 14:26:14 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 4:02 PM, Paul R. Tagliamonte
<paultag at opensource.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> For those who don't know, Trove classifiers are used by the Python
> world to talk about what is contained in the Python package. Stuff
> like saying "It's under the MIT/Expat license!" or "It's beta!".
>

> I was looking at the tags, and I saw one that made me "wat" a bit.
>
>> License :: OSI Approved :: GNU Free Documentation License (FDL)
>
> AFAIK the GFDL is *not* OSI approved, both due to it not being a
> software license, as well as I'm sure the invariant clauses being an
> issue.
>
> Has anyone come across this yet? Anyone have objections to me trying
> to clean up the Trove list?

Good catch!
Cleaning the list is going to be easy on the Python.org side,
especially since a new Pypi site is in the making. [1]
The harder or impossible part would have be to clean up the 1000+ of
packages using this faulty classifier....
But there is really only three of these [2] and all of them look
either pretty old or abandoned and none has its packages effectively
hosted or distributed on Pypi.

[1] https://pypi.io/
[2] https://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&c=63
--