[License-discuss] Trove Classifiers

Paul R. Tagliamonte paultag at opensource.org
Wed May 4 14:02:57 UTC 2016

Hey all,

For those who don't know, Trove classifiers are used by the Python
world to talk about what is contained in the Python package. Stuff
like saying "It's under the MIT/Expat license!" or "It's beta!".

I was looking at the tags, and I saw one that made me "wat" a bit.

> License :: OSI Approved :: GNU Free Documentation License (FDL)

AFAIK the GFDL is *not* OSI approved, both due to it not being a
software license, as well as I'm sure the invariant clauses being an
issue.

Has anyone come across this yet? Anyone have objections to me trying
to clean up the Trove list?

Cheers,
  Paul