[License-discuss] Views on React licensing?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Dec 12 19:55:40 UTC 2016

John Cowan wrote:

> what, is MIT so incompetent they haven't kept track of what patent licenses they have issued? Apprarently so.

Competence wasn't the real issue. The legal and technical effort required by any large organization to avoid incompatible patent license grants can be huge. Instead they said simply: "Here is this copyrighted work. Use it. It is open source."

Nowadays, software patents are harder to obtain and even those who work in universities, research organizations and large companies want their software to be more fully open source with broader patent grants and lower patent risks to the public. Most now use the Apache or MPL or GPLv3 licenses.

The subject of this thread is "Views on React licensing?" It should be "Views on patent licensing?"

/Larry