[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License proposal

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed Aug 3 15:39:11 UTC 2016

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) scripsit:

> A copyright-based license may work outside of the US because the USG
> would (probably) have copyright protections there?

Depending solely on local law, so there is no uniform answer.

> As far as I know, this hasn't been litigated anywhere, so it may not apply.

That wouldn't matter if there was an explicit or implicit statutory grant
in the foreign country.  If only the Berne Convention holds, then the
"We give you 0 years because you give yourself 0 years" argument kicks in.

> Interesting link!  I wish it weren't behind a paywall, I'd like to read more
> of it.

Me too.  Ask a lawyer friend to send you a copy (and me, while you're at it).
My father's preprint copy moldered away a long time ago.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Business before pleasure, if not too bloomering long before.
        --Nicholas van Rijn