[License-discuss] Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed May 20 20:40:16 UTC 2015

Apache Legal JIRA-218 asked:
>> My question is about whether "Eclipse Public License -v 1.0"
>> is compatible with our Apache License 2.0.
>> I couldn't find an answer on https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html.

Larry Rosen suggested:
> The obvious answer we could state in a short FAQ: "Of course. All FOSS licenses
> are compatible for aggregations.”

Ralph Goers then responded:
> The fundamental problem here is that it seems that most of the rest of us
> disagree completely with this statement. I know I do. Yes, I am not an attorney,
> but I don’t need to be to express that the many conversations I have had
> with attorneys for the companies I have worked for and that their (possibly
> incorrect) opinions are the reason why we would prefer to be overly conservative.

Thank you Ralph!

That is EXACTLY the reason why we moved this conversation to legal-discuss at apache.org, which is a public email list that anyone can read and copy. I'm now also copying license-discuss at opensource.org and the European Legal Network <ftf-legal at fsfeurope.org>.  I'm hoping for responses from attorneys. I'm fully prepared to ride my horse into the sunset if other attorneys tell me I'm inventing copyright law.

I will lend my horses to others to ride into the sunset if (PLEASE!) attorneys say something supportive.

/Larry