[License-discuss] Etalab license

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Jun 15 12:15:15 UTC 2015

Federico Leva (Nemo) scripsit:

> From the process it seems I can't submit for review a license I
> don't steward, but I'd be interested in comments on
> http://www.etalab.gouv.fr/licence-ouverte-open-licence as it's used
> in http://thesaurus.cerl.org which is a good resource for Wikipedia
> and Wikidata.

It's an Open Data rather than an Open Source license, which makes
it out of our scope, but it looks like it would otherwise qualify.
It's basically a 3-clause BSD license, with two additional clauses:

1) The licensor warrants that there is no third-party intellectual
property in the data.  This is not practical for software licenses,
because it's always possible that someone holds a U.S patent in the
"machine" represented by the software.

2) The license is governed by French law.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
All Gaul is divided into three parts: the part that cooks with lard and goose
fat, the part that cooks with olive oil, and the part that cooks with butter.
  --David Chessler