[License-discuss] Option to fall back from GPL to ASL

Kevin Fleming kevin+osi at kpfleming.us
Wed Aug 26 16:44:56 UTC 2015

Also, in this situation, the copyright holders of BAR (and thus the
licensors) are the parties that would have standing to pursue any action
against a distributor who distributes a derivative work of BAR without
following the terms of its license (the GPL, or a commercial license). If
someone has licensed BAR under a commercial license, and then wants to
distribute BAR with FOO under non-GPL terms, the licensors of BAR would
presumably not attempt to enforce the GPL's terms, since they know they
have granted a commercial license. This assumes that the commercial license
even allows distribution of BAR; it probably does not. In that case, there
is no distribution, only 'use', and as David Woolley said, users are free
to combine works in any way they wish for their own use, regardless of the
open source licenses on those works.