[License-discuss] Option to fall back from GPL to ASL

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Aug 26 06:57:58 UTC 2015

On 25/08/15 22:26, Richard Eckart de Castilho wrote:
> The vendors of BAR also offer a commercial license for BAR. If somebody buys that license, we want them to be able to use FOO under the commercial-friendly ASL terms without having to give them any extra permission. Right now, those people would still face the GPL label on FOO even though they removed it for themselves from BAR by buying a license.

This only becomes an issue if they want to redistribute the code linked
against BAR, or want to redistribute a version of the code that only
works with BAR.  The GPL does not restrict modification or linking
within an organisation.  It's intent is only to ensure that when it is
passed to a third party they can modify and rebuild it without being
forced to pay for other licences and without being dependent on code
that they are unable to see or modify.