[License-discuss] [Board] [Board-plus] Open source license chooser choosealicense.com launched.

Deborah Bryant bryant.deb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 18:25:57 UTC 2013

I spoke to Ben about the issue in DC in May.  I continue to advocate for at least a GITHUB requirement to include which open source license the code is under in the meta data for those projects self identified as "open source". He promised to continue to do the same advocacy within GITHUB - this is his incremental effort.

Ben told me that an early effort at GITHUB to do the same (offer a pull down of OSS licenses) netting a lot of complaints from projects whose license was not included, and they withdrew the option.

For what it's worth, this is the note I received from his this morning after he posted:

> Deborah -
>
> Not sure if you saw it already, but wanted to make sure you saw about choosealicense.com
>
> https://github.com/blog/1530-choosing-an-open-source-license
>
> The site itself is open source, so we hope it will be a community-collaborated resource, and the licenses, once added, make their way into a license-picker dropdown on GitHub.com, available any time you create a new repository.
>
> Decidedly a baby step, but hope that by making things easier, we can encourage the community to properly license their code.
>
> Cheers and open source,
> - Ben

Deb Bryant