[License-discuss] web forums for license-* [was Re: proposal for revising code of conduct]

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Jan 6 09:53:17 UTC 2013

Luis Villa wrote:
> I've personally never seen open source forum software that wasn't an
> abysmal nightmare from a usability perspective, whereas many people
> here have email clients that they have chosen and customized

I would definitely discourage forums.  I think a lot of forums are
created for vanity reasons, and forum services play on that because they
are really after trackable advertising targets (the need to login means
that, even if you don't post, and therefore allow personal targetting,
the ad-rotator can ration repeats).  The result tends to be
fragmentation of the discussions, as multiple, competing, forums get
created.

Also the need to pull the postings, and that it is difficult to get them
out of the cloud, make them a hassle for readers.

(On the other hand, it is true that relatively few people know how to
use mailing lists these days.  There seems to be an increasing number of
people asking on list to be unsubscribed (not here, that I've noticed),
and, in combination with GUI user agents, with poor quoting support,
bottom quoting of the whole of a long thread is becoming the norm.)

(Unsubribe me requests tend to come out in batches, so people seem to
grin and bare it for a long time first.  It seems that a lot of people
fail to realise that they subscribed to a public list, and almost accuse
the list administrator of spamming them!)

--
David Woolley