[License-discuss] web forums for license-* [was Re: proposal for revising code of conduct]

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Sun Jan 6 02:42:38 UTC 2013

I've personally never seen open source forum software that wasn't an
abysmal nightmare from a usability perspective, whereas many people
here have email clients that they have chosen and customized
specifically to deal with their workflow. So I'm very reluctant to
make anyone less productive here by forcing them to use bad software.

Similarly, I'm strongly disinclined to create "another inbox" for list
members; again, I want this list to be productive, and additional
inboxes are a source of anti-productivity in the world.[1]

That said, I know Karl and the infrastructure team have looked at
forum options with an eye towards using them for forums for members.
So if any of them have thoughts on the state of the art I'm all ears -
it is possible that there is now good web forum software that
integrates well with email and is pleasant to use from the web.

I'm open to the idea at all because, as has been pointed out, our
current archives are awful (hard to browse, hard to search, etc.), and
part of the purpose of license-review (and to a lesser extent,
license-discuss) is to create a permanent record of OSI's thoughts and
wisdom on licensing. I acknowledge Rick's concern about not getting
information into local storage very easily, but IMHO it is much more
important to create information that is publicly accessible and so
useful for future generations of people who deal with licenses, and if
a web forum, maintained by OSI's infrastructure team, can help us with
that, I'm strongly in favor.

Luis

[1] http://lifehacker.com/5364596/reduce-your-inboxes-to-streamline-your-workflow-and-reduce-stress