[License-discuss] [Infrastructure] Machine readable source of OSI approved licenses?

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Sat Dec 28 16:38:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Karl Fogel <kfogel at opensource.org> wrote:
> Joe Murray <joe.murray at jmaconsulting.biz> writes:
>>What I really want help with is someone to a) proofread the text that
>>I change from html to text, and b) to provide feedback / direction on
>>matters like whether it would be okay to create separate nodes with
>>different names for version x and version x or later licenses on
>>opensource.org.
>
> A technical suggestion:
>
> If we use Markdown as the plaintext format -- which would be reasonable,
> as every license I can think of would look fine both as Markdown source
> text and as HTML rendered from that

I'm actually somewhat skeptical that section numbering will survive
Markdown, but we should at least give it a try. (And that's a
non-trivial problem, since people refer to "Sec X(y)" fairly
frequently in outside documents, so changing how those are
rendered/presented is problematic; how those are handled also varies
from Markdown implementation to Markdown implementation).

Otherwise, I agree that standardizing on Markdown and providing
machine-readable licenses would be ideal, and it is worth
experimenting to see if this can be done.

Luis