[License-discuss] relationship between opensource code and the copyrighted works it produces?

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Sep 5 15:56:21 UTC 2012

On 09/05/2012 08:19 AM, Karl Fogel wrote:
> My understanding (I am not a lawyer) is that copyright only applies to
> creative works -- specifically, to works resulting from human
> creativity, or to the portion of a work that results from human
> creativity. This is why, for example, the information in a phone book
> cannot be copyrighted, but a song reciting those numbers could be.
Or indeed, a work containing a creative form of organizing or presenting
the phone numbers could be copyrighted, while the data could be
/extracted from it/ and would not be covered by copyright.

There is one thing to watch out for: do your tools embed the copyrighted
work of others in your work? It used to be that Inkscape /did, /and the
same has been true for other tools.//In the case of Inkscape, it placed
a raster texture called "Sand" in SVG works, and that texture was under
Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 . Wikipedians were uploading SVG images
to Wikipedia and dedicating them to the public domain, but they had this
embedded texture that was /not /public domain.

I think that Inkscape has since been cleaned up. You can see the
Wikimedia Commons discussion at
http://wikimedia.7.n6.nabble.com/Licensing-for-textures-within-SVG-files-td1473913.html

     Thanks

     Bruce