Can OSI specify that public domain is open source?

Andy Brooks ajbrooks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 23:01:49 UTC 2011

I think Rick's correct. From the Dam Things case (
http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=1360880396028036231): "An
author's right to protection of the derivative work only extends to the
elements that he has added to the work; he cannot receive protection for the
underlying work." A non-American in that situation would probably only be
able to use the elements added to the underlying work.

Also I have a question as to whether the US Gov would even have standing to
sue in a European court. There are a lot of countries that don't have "work
for hire" doctrines and therefore may not recognize the US Gov as the true
author of the work. Even with an express copyright assignment there could
still be issues, but that's probably too much digression...