Updating the Python License

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sun Mar 27 00:44:48 UTC 2011

Chuck Swiger writes:
 > On Mar 8, 2011, at 12:09 PM, VanL wrote:
 > > 1. Have the license at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/pythonpl be renamed the "CNRI Open Source License Agreement for Python" and have the text updated to the final version as included in the middle of the stack from http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation.

Changing 1.6b1 to 1.6.1 is no problem, as is making the change to the
handle. However, the language in #7 has changed sufficiently that it
needs to be reviewed here.

 > > 2. Have the license at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation be renamed the Python License.

It needs editing as well, because it says that it's a license from the
PSF to the licensor. If it needs that change, it may need other
changes to make it generally usable by all members of the Python
community, so I don't want to just change the name. It needs to be
formally reviewed. Changing or adopting licenses without formal review
has proven to be a bad idea.

 > > 3. Have the license from the top of the stack from http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation (down to but not including "BEOPEN.COM") be approved as an OSI license and named the "Python Software Foundation License."

I expect that will fly through like butter on teflon (although I won't
be the chair of the committee as of next Friday). Could you (Van,
being the interested party) submit these three changes as separate
requests. Put "FOR APPROVAL" on the subject line, and put the (new)
name of the license following it. It's okay to refer to the licenses
by URL.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog