Updating the Python License

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Tue Mar 8 20:48:39 UTC 2011

Hi--

On Mar 8, 2011, at 12:09 PM, VanL wrote:
>> Now, submitting a license for review and approval if it meets the OSI guidelines is something we do.  :-)  However, I believe that we've already approved both the historical CNRI license and the PSF license:
>>
>>   http://www.opensource.org/licenses/pythonpl
>>   http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation
>>
>> If there is some additional suggestions that you'd like to make to help clear up the distinction between the historical bits of the Python license, and the modern PSF license (ie, the top of the stack, as you describe it), we can probably figure out a way to make that happen.
>
> What I would like to do is the following:
>
> 1. Have the license at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/pythonpl be renamed the "CNRI Open Source License Agreement for Python" and have the text updated to the final version as included in the middle of the stack from http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation.
>
> 2. Have the license at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation be renamed the Python License.
>
> 3. Have the license from the top of the stack from http://www.opensource.org/licenses/PythonSoftFoundation (down to but not including "BEOPEN.COM") be approved as an OSI license and named the "Python Software Foundation License."

Note that most people would start from a list like:

  http://www.opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical
  http://www.opensource.org/licenses/category

...which has the following named links which go to the two URLs I mentioned above:

	• Python license (CNRI Python License)
	• Python Software Foundation License

I think it would be fine to rename the first to "CNRI Open Source License Agreement for Python" (which is your #1); and the second link is already named as requested for #3.

I also don't see a concern for adjusting the content of the two links such that the former has the content of "CNRI LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PYTHON 1.6.1" (rather than current "PYTHON 1.6, beta 1"), and the latter include just the PSFLv2 text, and not the "BEOPEN.COM LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PYTHON 2.0" and subsequent content.

And while we're at it, we might as well categorize the CNRI/BEOPEN.COM portion as deprecated or retired in favor of the PSFLv2.  Russ, do you have any concerns?  Or anyone else...?  :-)

Regards,
--
-Chuck