OpenSource may not disallow it

Daniil Kulchenko dkulchenko at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 03:28:17 UTC 2009

HDE,

Well, what you said was slightly hard to understand, but from I made out of
it, you are asking if you can disallow a specific entity from the freedoms
given by an open source license. When you release a program under your open
source license, you don't surrender the copyright to the software. It is
still yours, you can do whatever you want with it, just like you would if
you had not specified a license. When you release a program under an open
source license, it is like giving permission for the public to share some of
those copyrights with you. If you are talking about adding a clause in a
license (most licenses do not allow you to do so) about specific entities,
the license does not follow the OSD anymore. And about your last point: just
because a license does not follow the OSD does not mean it does not protect
you. It just means it does not follow the principles outlined by the OSI,
but whether the license protects you, the developer, is dependent on the
license.

Regards,
Daniil.