which license to use for software using components with GPL, LGPL and EPL?

Bani borboleta at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 19:34:29 UTC 2009

> Thanks. The GPL components are derivative works which releases their
> software under GPL same is true with the EPL and GPL components. Although
> all external components only comprises less than 5% of the actual software.
> We would prefer to have the software under GPL, although it seems it is now
> depend which components are more critical then the license shall follow. On
> another note all licenses seems to be compatible if released as commercial;
> having said that, in the worse case the software is forced to be released
> as
> commercial instead of open source. Should it not that the community should
> work hand in hand to protect copy left instead of developers being burdened
> with incompatibility issues?

Could you explain a little better why releasing it as commercial software
would solve your license compatibility issues? Also, I'd be interested in
knowing a little more about how you are integrating and distributing these
different pieces of your system, because I am writing the chapter of my
master's dissertation about license compatibility and I'm focusing on these
issues when talking about GPL.