OSI enforcement? (Was Re: Microsoft use of the term "Open Source")

Arnoud Engelfriet arnoud at engelfriet.net
Sat Jan 5 15:31:32 UTC 2008

Rick Moen wrote:
> I just wanted to add that anyone who's _really_ serious about
> registering a descriptive mark with USPTO would be well advised to
> read relevant sections of the Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure,
> which Bitlaw has mirrored online:  http://www.bitlaw.com/source/tmep/

Well, I only made the suggestion because it seemed to me OSI would
have a fair chance of obtaining a registered trademark today.

I'll admit I'm not a US trademark lawyer (only a European trademark
attorney), but all the literature I've seen on the concept of OSS
acknowledges OSI as the origin of the phrase, or at least as the
central body behind the concept.

I'd be happy to sponsor at least part of the $330 if OSI decides
to go this route.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/