OSI enforcement? (Was Re: Microsoft use of the term "Open Source")

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 5 12:33:33 UTC 2008

I just wanted to add that anyone who's _really_ serious about
registering a descriptive mark with USPTO would be well advised to
read relevant sections of the Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure,
which Bitlaw has mirrored online:  http://www.bitlaw.com/source/tmep/

(If nothing else, a failed registration, for lack of attention to the
criteria used by examiners, would be not only irksome in itself but also
a waste of the US $330 application fee.)

I'll readily admit to not having read it, but I've not staked any $330
applications on my avoidance of pitfalls.