OSI enforcement? (Was Re: Microsoft use of the term "Open Source")

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Jan 1 23:40:31 UTC 2008

zooko scripsit:

> Please don't shoot the messenger (me), but the message that I've
> heard is that OSI has no power to compel people to stop misusing the
> term "open source".

To be precise, they have no *legal* power to do so.  There are other
kinds of power beside the strictly (or merely) legal.  In particular, they
have the power of the public pen, and the power of private persuasion.

--
When I'm stuck in something boring              John Cowan
where reading would be impossible or            (who loves Asimov too)
rude, I often set up math problems for          cowan at ccil.org
myself and solve them as a way to pass          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
the time.      --John Jenkins